"

back to asia

So, I found myself sitting on a new terrace, with numbered buildings around, the train zipping back & forth, the smell of barbecue & children shrieking by the pool, it's humid, it's alive. After a few months of preps that seemed will never end, we are back to Asia. 

We arrived Singapore on a hot wednesday afternoon two months ago. We squeezed our lives into four suitcases, or at least what's left of it after the movers packed everything else. We savoured the corners of our now empty house for almost a month, sleeping on a mattress on the floor, empty cupboards except for 4 plates and a few forks and knives. And bawled over our cat who we decided to have a long vacation with my in-laws. It's always never easy to go. Habits are comfort zones. Change is always distressing. There will always be that strange nagging sensation of homesickness.

But here we are, doing a leap of faith which was long overdue. Nothing like a new world that cannot cure homesickness. Inhaling that familiar smell. Those familiar noises. This scorching sun. Where I no longer look like a tourist. Where I constantly have option paralysis in the hawker food places. Where I literally get lost in malls. Where people speak to me in Chinese, Malay, Japanese, or Korean but never in Tagalog. Where I will be truly immersed in an amazing blending of cultures that is Singapore.

We have always lived outside of the city and we are now smack right in the middle of it!

A new city teaches us so many things more than when we are just visiting for holidays. Knowing that we are living here changes everything. We don't scamper around anymore trying to visit one place to another in a short amount of time. I am taking my time to be a tourist while building our temporary home here, appreciating being among locals, and understanding what home really is.


   

Makis

From Manila to Paris, then to Marseille & to the Côte d'Azur, now in Singapore, clinging to a map of three worlds, where everything becomes all relative.

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous, I would like to be in your shoes enjoying the whole year summer. I am pretty sure you're enjoyin it's like home anyway, not totally but you'll adapt easily. Glad you are back to blogging ! Commenting while on training :D !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Haze! I did miss blogging since I like writing. Hopefully we can bring back blogging like it was before all the social media exploded :) Looking forward to reading you soon & to seeing you here on our side of the jungle!

    ReplyDelete