"

Things I learned...

...away from home


...dustballs accumulate every second...
...i cannot live without rice...
...housemaids are true luxury...
...independency = aloneness = independency...
...hand lotions are a necessity....
...happiness is a matter of geography...
...each & every kitchen utensil is useful...
...the notion of the wind's speed....
...to walk, to walk & to walk...
...i will never learn to like the cold...
...inner peace is a matter of mindset & character...
...the difference between being religious & being spiritual...
...the significance of the sun...
...genuine good food...
...kindness breeds humbleness...
...to complain & to complain that I complain a lot...
...sometimes distance really grows between people...
...pressing clothes is a subtle form of therapy...
...you almost have no right to be sick...
...having more than one true friend here is already a privilege...
...courage has a new meaning...
...how the four seasons affect your moods, really...
...the vacuum cannot, ever replace the reliable " walis tambo"....
...the significance of discipline...
...aside from your family & friends, you likewise miss the sunsets back home...
...humbless & simplicity are essential to truly embrace change...
...the beauty of phonecalls & handwritten mails...
...the home service massages, manicures & pedicures are a total extravagance...
...depending on anybody is always a risk...
...i feel i am getting old in an accelerating speed here...
...seriousness brings a new light...
...the value of noise...
...a deeper connection to stress, anxiety & panic attacks...
...my home, the Philippines is truly a paradise...
...I fear first world countries...
...there is more than this...

Makis

From Manila to Paris, then to Marseille & to the Côte d'Azur, now in Singapore, clinging to a map of three worlds, where everything becomes all relative.

9 comments:

  1. Found myself nodding my head in agreement!!! These are such insightful and moving observations. I'm sure all those who have been away and have been transplanted can relate, one way or the other.

    -kala

    ReplyDelete
  2. BIG changes I would say! These aren't so strange as it sounds at first, just a new dimension in life that we need to adapt.

    True Makis, how I really miss our WALIS TAMBO !!! Vacuum makes us a lazy person.

    Good day and keep warm !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more, this is very true Makis! and yes, Philippines is truly a paradise and will lways be! hay, na-miss ko tuloy dun bigla. =)

    take care and have a wonderful weekend! keep warm! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Makis, big time. Miss the Pinas and every simple thing that I do while there.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I was bloghopping from friends' and thought of dropping by.

    Like you, I'm learning to live with these changes. I thought I was becoming strange; glad to know I'm not alone :-)).

    I love these phrases: "the beauty of phonecalls & handwritten mails; the significance of the sun; my home, the Philippines is truly a paradise."

    Boy, how I miss the simple things I cannot have and do here in France!

    I love how you express your feelings in detail ... :-)
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kala :Actually, I realized that the ones you complain about are the things you are actually learning. Change really is a test of character, diba nga???

    Hazel :I remember saying that the change is big because it is a physical, mental & spiritual change for me - la total, quoi!

    Ligaya & Bless :Hay naku, paradiso talaga sa atin & sometimes you wonder why a lot of pinoys want to leave! Home is home!

    Joy : Welcome, welcome! Thanks for the visit & the nice comment! Hope to see you more here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Makis,
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I first thought having a vacuum cleaner is more than enough, but I still ended up buying walis tambo :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I wish I had walis tambo here...hehe...getting used to the vaccuum though. Yes, there is nothing like the handwritten mails from family and friends! They can write me emails everyday but I still go back and read the handwritten letters over and over again! This is a nice post, Makis. I can definitely relate to every bit of it...and yes, it takes awhile to like the cold weather...sabi nga ni Rose, soon I'll learn how to like the winter fashion as well, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete